Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Music to my ears

Those that know me well, know that I love music.

This, and books, are probably my real vices in life, if you discount smoking, drinking, drug use... okay, so I have (and have had, I must add) many vices. Currently, music is my drug of choice.

This month there have been some great albums released and I want to bring your attention to the following bands, all of whom I reckon are the best new bands out there. Well, they're my favourites at the moment, whatever you think!

The first is an old favourite of mine and a band I have seen live a couple of times now. They hail from Denmark and are called The Raveonettes. They have three albums, if you include the first EP, and have a sound that is fairly distinct. It's reminiscent of the 50's surf sound and the fuzz of 1980's punk. Lovely.

Second on my list is a bunch of very young people that make a lot of noise with three instruments and can rattle off a sublime tune in under 3 minutes. They are called The Subways and, if my memory serves me correctly, they are all under 18 years of age! Proof that age doesn't matter when it comes to crafting pop songs.

Finally, my third choice has been a favourite of mine since last year. Their debut album has just reached the shelves and is best described as a cross between Interpol and Joy Division. They are called Editors. There are not enough superlatives in the world to get across how brilliant this band is. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best thing since Radiohead hit the scene all those years ago.

Go look at the sites, have a listen to some of the excerpts and, if you like them, go to iTunes and grab yourself a copy. Or, if you prefer, like I do, to have your music on something other than an electronic device, get to your local record store.

Let me know what you think of these artists. Do you love them as much as I do?

purplesimon out...

No comments: