Thursday, May 05, 2005

Is it worth it?

This is the question that I ask myself most often. It's aimed at my chosen career, that of freelance copywriter.

Inevitably, as with all self-employed work, there are times when things are slow. In my industry, that time happens to be April/May. Yes, exactly: now.

It's not that I haven't had anything to do, there is always work to be done, but it is small bits and bobs and nothing to really get my teeth into. So, I have spent time creating conceptual work and writing off to a number of agencies.

Each year I get to this time and think to myself: is it worth it, the struggle to get work and then, once I've got it, the struggle to get paid and also the immense struggle to find the next piece of work.

I think it is worth it. I love my job and can afford some downtime. Just hoping that the summer picks up!

purplesimon out...

No comments: