Thursday, May 05, 2005

Electioneering

No, not a reference to the Radiohead song, but a quick post about UK politics.

Now, I know that some of you are thinking, "This is going to be so boring." Well, you're probably right. But, I think that voting is important.

That's why, in about half an hour, I'm going to drag my sorry butt from this chair and get around to my local polling station and stick my cross where (I think) it matters.

If only everyone in the country eligible would do the same. Then, we have a true democracy and not decisions made by a mere 15% of the UK voting population.

Results are due in late tonight or early tomorrow morning. I love to stay up and watch the television programmes dedicated to the democratic process. I love to see those politicians who fail to win a seat (or retain a seat in some cases) and they are either angry or in tears. There is always a story of a candidate who has captured the local community's imagination and won on a vote based upon a single manifesto promise, such as cleaner local hospitals.

This is true democracy and should be applauded.

So, there is a real chance to make a difference if you can be bothered. For the future generation, please be bothered.

Here endeth the lesson. Hehe.

purplesimon out...

No comments: