Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tagged

I've been tagged by Gina and this story is my five things you didn’t know about me. So, for once, this is not fiction.


  1. I try not to be selfish. This is why:

    I can recall the day the phone rang and my father was on the other end. He told me my mother was dying. It was a Wednesday. I’d just been burgled. It's as clear to me now as it was all those years ago. It was one of those days: a shit one.

    I shouldn't have been surprised by the call; we're all on our way to death. Still, it came as a shock. Now I am numb to it. It's what happens as time drags on. I almost wish I could scream at her: what's taking so fucking long, I've been mourning you for almost two years; can’t you see what it's doing to us?

    Instead, I hug her, hold back my tears and remind my mother that I want her around to see me get married, have children, live my life.

    To think that only seven years ago I tried to take my own life, to discard this precious gift as if it were a soiled blanket. How selfish I was. Perhaps I am still? I try not to be.


  2. I have a copy of every book written by Charles Bukowski. His sense of self-esteem mirrors mine, but I've learned that drugs only blank things for a while. Drugs? I’ve tried them all. I've failed with them, too. Now, I sup at beers and suck on joints held together with the spit of friends and lovers. I regained my love of writing from his books, helping me to gain publication of my poems and short stories.

    I gave it all up for a career in advertising. If I ever had a soul, I know it's been sold many times over. I keep checking eBay, but to no avail.


  3. Often these days it's music that keeps me going. I can't stand the sound of silence and have to put the radio on if there is no access to CDs or musical instruments. In times of real distress I reach for a guitar, strum a tune or two. Music calms me and in the past it has stopped me from doing something stupid with razor blades.


  4. Over the past 12 months I have given up many of my vices. It's been an arduous journey, particularly the no smoking. I took up yoga to help. It has worked for me and I can now bend my body into interesting shapes.

    I still crave cigarettes from time-to-time. Such as during my waking hours. But I abstain.

    It's a sign of me maturing, I guess. Only a little.


  5. I still remember every word in the script of Pulp Fiction. It's a film that no one can ever watch with me. I annoy people with my reciting. It stems from the time I took a strong hit of LSD, watched the film three times in a row. Since then, the words have embedded themselves in my brain. It makes for nicer flashbacks.

    I'm pleased I never watched soap operas. Flashbacks would have been hard to live with if I had.


I now tag the following people:


I just hope they have the time and inclination to write out a list.

7 comments:

Kat said...

A little about purplesimon. Thanks for sharing with us. Do you know I have yet to see Pulp fiction all the way through?? I saw the beginning and the end which was really the end at the beginning, but I missed the middle. You know?

ginab said...

You memorized Pulp? Must have been a life-changer for you. Yoga sounds like it works. I just can't bend well enough...but yes I think exercise, the regular stuff, is a sign of growth. (I've begun doing it regular like!)

I am so glad you're here for your mom. I too nearly smacked the floor with the towel, nearly threw it in. I am glad you're here.

-g+bb

lryicsgrl said...

#1 had a tear well, and then slip from my eye.
#2 I would like to read something by Charles Bukowski, is he the guy who wrote about his life in advertising?
#3 Music means everything to me, and it kills me that my kids are hooked on this pop, rap, hippy hoppy stuff from the mainstream radio! Where are MY genetics. I'm glad you stayed away from the razor.
#4 Glad you quit smoking, and took up Yoga. That is cool!
#5 I love Pulp Fiction.. Never did acid though. I would hate to think where my over active imagination would take me. I want to recite something from Pulp now, but left alone with this computer and keypad, my mind losses things, it's weird! My favorite part is when the clean up man comes, to clean up the mess in the car, I love his organizational skills!

Hope you don't mind me, a perfect or not so pefect, stranger stopping by your blog.

Peace

Chris said...

Damn you, sir. Tagging me with your viral web-filth. ;)

Sorry. I was up late last night reading Warren Ellis. I get surly after reading a lot of him.

Since I'm guessing you'd rather read a new chapter of the Amorlia story than my response to this, I will post my list in the comments of the next chapter.

I'm warning you, though. You'll wish you'd never asked. ;)

Oh, and not to go all squishy on you or anything, but I for one am glad you didn't go through with it. It would be a great shame never having met you.

Tamarai said...

Hey Sime

Thanks for sharing your bits and pieces... I can see why Pulp Fiction is the better flashback. Cooler too! I have indeed put my own 5 up but am yet to come up with 5 unsuspecting bodies as yet.

Tamarai said...

The internet swallowed my comment - I'd commented before this and it disappeared.

I have put my 5 bits up. Need to find 5 people, though.

Thanks for sharing yours, Sime!

dori said...

Ooh - only seen this now (been digesting in the belly of the corporate beast, i.e. been in training at work since last week and haven't had time to do important stuff like blogging). I am a Sagittarian, and so I will of course meet your challenge! Just need some time... check back at my blog later in the week.