Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Counting on Fear

I start counting backwards from 100
In steps of 3.
97
94
91
88
85
82
79
76
73
…
01

It doesn’t take me long and still the fear is there, palpable.
From there I use the alphabet to control things.
Thinking of a number, finding its corresponding letter.
It’s a test.

20=T
4=D
12=L

I feel my pulse fall to normal levels, my heart slows and the heat in my head dissipates.

I can do these tricks in seconds now; I’ve used them for so many years.

Only once they are complete am I able to step out of bed.

5 comments:

purplesime said...

This story stems from a book I'm reading about people who use maths problems to calm down.

I just wanted to put something up that was less personal than the last post.

purplesimon out...

Kat said...

Sounds very OCD.

Tamarai said...

I agree with Kat - does sound very OCD.

ginab said...

Sounds, too, like an insomniac could benefit from counting backwards. I might give it a whirl.

I am so happy it's Friday! Time for a break from it all. Just a mini-me break.

happiness to you and yours!
-g+bb

Kim said...

doing anything math related has the reverse effect on me.