Thursday, November 17, 2005

My final words

[Please record your message after the beep]

I can see it coming in through the low clouds. I marvel at how it hangs, almost weightless.

Suddenly, I’m reminded of how she tasted like strawberry yoghurt; how she moved in my arms. The faintness of her smile haunts me now. Her laughter follows me like a shadow, a stalker.

There is a roar. I am brought back to the now, the present situation. I know I’m going to die, I’ve accepted it. It comes to us all. I just never expected it now: I’m only 30.

It’s not as if someone has warned me, picked up the phone or ushered me into a wood-panelled office. Sat me in a leather chair and looked down at their hands while they construct the sentence in their head: I’m sorry to tell you [insert your name here], but you’ve got

cancer
inoperable heart disease
yellow fever

and there is no known cure.

I am watching my own death approaching. I can taste the noxious breath of death as I kiss her full on the lips. I have inserted my tongue.

I hear the screams above the roar. I see people fling themselves to – and here I laugh at my own thoughts – certain death.

Turning around I see that breakfast hasn’t been touched. Croissants, homemade jam, butter that has melted in the first rays of the morning sun; it’s all laid out on a white cloth that flutters in the breeze. I shiver, even though it’s not cold on this September day.

I could take the stairs, make a run for it. But I don’t.
I stay.
I watch.

I feel the urge to pray, although I’ve never believed in a God and now, well, it seems churlish to start believing. Even if He existed, would He save me? Would I save Him if our roles were reversed?

I think not.

The ground shakes as the plane hits. I feel the heat rising around the top of the building. I hear

glass shatter
people scream
sirens wail

And I can smell the burning flesh.

There is so much paper.

The shaking is getting worse. I don’t think there can be much time left.

Remember that I…

3 comments:

purplesime said...

About 8 weeks ago, I was in a mad discussion about terrorists and I was reading the excellent book by Jonathan Safran Foer (Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close) and I wondered what someone might say on an answer machine if they knew they were going to die.

This is what has come out of that.

I was originally going to use this as part of larger story, but as a piece I quite liked it on its own. Even with the repetition of some earlier work in it.

Can you spot it?

Anyway, if it offends I can only say that you've chosen to read it and I can't change that. I believe in what I write and even if the subject matter is slightly difficult to read about, surely that's a good thing.

While it makes no difference, I lost a friend in 9/11 and someone close to me was on the underground train that was blown up in 7/7, but thankfully unhurt.

I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad.

purplesimon out...

Tamarai said...

Hey, sweetie. Powerful piece of writing and no need for apologies. I think you've captured it pretty close and I think that there aren't too many people brave enough to tackle this one. Thanks for doing that.

As always, with tongue...

Kim said...

I don't think I would want to know. I hope when it happens, it happens really fast. You wander into territories I fear to tread, lol, and I'm content to keep it that way...
Nice piece.