Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Always On My Mind

Elvis, I’m your conscience. Yes, really. Now, you and I really need to sit down and start debating some of these things you’re doing. Not just the things you do to others, but things you do to yourself.

I don’t want to nag, but – no, I do want to nag. I’ve got to live with the consequences. I’m plagued on a daily basis with rhetorical questions and a (seemingly) never-ending run of what-ifs. All you need to do is get up and live life as if things didn’t happen. Sing a few songs, swing those hips, etc. And that would be easy, except for me: your conscience.

Hey, don’t try to get smart with me! I know your innermost thoughts and feelings better than you do and no amount of drug-taking or bingeing is going to change that, so get used to it.

Oh, did I mention you can’t shut me off? Yeah, and you think you’ve got the shit end of the stick. It’s hard being hard done by; don’t I know it.

The first thing we need to get sorted is your intake of alcohol. Now, I like a tipple – red wine’s more my thing, but if it simply must be lager – but not in quantities that could fill an ocean. Every night. You seem to think that I have the power to stop you. I don’t. All I can do is make you say things like:

I promise I’ll never drink again
Alcohol is for fools
My head hurts
I think I’m going to be sick


I can’t do anything else. I’m not hard-coded for willpower, that’s frontal lobes over there you need to speak to about that one. You might find him hard to wake because he was up most of the night on a coke binge.

You’ve only yourself to blame. Hey, don’t start telling me I’m like your Mum! You’re the one that put down these patterns. It’s just my job to remind you of them every now and again.

Secondly, speeding cars and stationary humans don’t mix. Okay, you’ve probably worked that one out for yourself. Pain has a way of bringing things into perspective, fairly acutely I might add.

Whoa! No, that’s not… hang on a minute…

Not that switch! No, that will shut me up, but it has the unfortunate effect of shutting everything off. There ain’t no going back if you flick that switch. No more beer, no more girls, no more nothing.

It’s your choice. All I can do is give you advi…

Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

2 comments:

purplesime said...

I had this dream last night that I was chatting with Elvis, trying to stop him destroying his career and life.

Funny thing is, I don't rate Elvis that much - I'm more likely to get more comments about that than I am about the story! Sorry, he was an average singer, but boy could he pack away the cheeseburgers.

Anyway, I digress. I had this dream and this is the story of what I recall from last night.

purplesimon out...

Chris said...

That was one weird story, man. But I loved it. Maybe the dream was a sign. You should hire yourself out to pop stars as their conscience.