Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Beginnings

I wake to garlands of rubbish around my throat; faded crisp packets, sweet wrappers; torn plastic bags, blue but transparent; scuffed plastic bottles, their rims smeared with fetid gunk. I lay, prone, amongst this, as if I’ve been tipped from a rotting bag of household waste. And in a way, I have been.
My clothes are soiled and stained. I wake to another day.
I run a grimy finger along split gums and broken teeth, a gift from the fighting days. Extricate myself from beneath rain-soaked bushes as if I were strawberry milkshake flowing through a straw: one fluid movement. A shadow cast of reminiscence falls across my mind. My favourite flavour, smell: strawberries.
Looking up at the decaying teeth of 60’s architecture. Waking up to a sky that’s always crying, to a population unforgiving; to a place that’s always dark, even before it stumbles into a back alley, before it's sodomised and brutalised by society’s effluent: the homeless, the pimps, the silent killers.
I am the walker. I am the watcher. I document it all. I am invisible, but I am omnipresent.
Not that you’d ever want to meet me.

11 comments:

purplesime said...

The beginnings of something, not sure what. This character came to me as I spent time on a train visiting a client.

It's based on someone sleeping by the tracks, a homeless person. But I've made this person dark, someone who documents life around him. Or her. A he, I think.

There you are. This month's post.

purplesimon out...

Tamarai said...

Powerful. Very vivid and I had a strong physical reaction as I read it. I like the strawberry milkshake analogy best of all.

Welcome back, Sime. I am so glad you decided to forget what those fuckers said and put things out there.

:-) Word verification: favufisp

ing said...

Hey, have you read any William Vollman? He writes great stuff about the homeless and the disenfranchised.

I can see a difference in your writing since I last saw it. You're writing with more detail. Nice and vivid.

purplesime said...

T: Love the word verification. I don't get those too often now that I'm always logged on to my Google personalised homepage. Ho hum.

Really pleased you liked the piece. It's early early days with it and everything is subject to change. Some of it already has.

Ing: I have read no William Vollman, but I will hunt some down and start reading.

I'm trying to get more vivid in terms of detail, to worry more about describing than plot. It's a start. It's where I want to go with my private writing.

So, glad that you appear to like where my writing is heading.

purplesimon out...

ginab said...

Yes there's vivid detail (concrete and image) and AND the turn at the end. You're moving right in moving through to a turn. I would sing Allen Ginsberg, but that's because of his Howl and his Kabbish (a mother thing --in Part 1 of 'Howl' and all of 'Kabbish'--I pay holy hommage to).

You'll find your wings. You are a poet, I'm sure.

-ginab

ginab said...

HAPPY FIRST WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!!!

purplesime said...

Thanks Gina!

Everyone: I've been ill with flu, the first break I've had from work in a long time.

So, writing gets put back. House move and lots happening means this kind of delay is going to happen more and more often.

purplesimon out...

Anonymous said...

Hope you are on the mend...I tried commenting yesterday.but couldn't? Weird.

I remember being in a writing class in college, and my friend did a story on a "bag lady". The woman in her story clutched a BERGDORF GOODMAN shoping bag. The image she created, stayed with me a long time. I think I have now met her mate!

xo

Anonymous said...

ok shopping
hope you don't mind my using ANON, as I can't stand all the password stuff...mine doesn't always work...but, it's me....Sue...

ginab said...

Hmm...a reread discloses a character development piece. Name the newbie for your own information and ask yourself some questions like: where is he from? What would he say to me if I asked him, "You got the time?" What's his favourite food? What's a favourite memory?

Interesting stuff.

-ginab

PS: I hope you're feeling better! TGIF!

purplesime said...

Hi Sue, thanks for popping by and you know you're more than welcome to stay anonymous. Although it's nice to know who you are!

Ginab: Feeling way better. Not about the writing, I'm still not pleased there. Flu gone. Mood up.

Last day of work today. Three weeks off. Moving house, too.

Busy busy busy times ahead.

purplesimon out...