Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Life Rears Up Like A Frightened Horse

These are some poems from one of my collections. I present these for you:

Sometimes You Look So Beautiful


it scares me
hounds me in my
night robes of conscience
impregnates my thoughts
contorts the reality.

sometimes you look so beautiful
it pleases me
but still that scare
is on the loose
slipped the noose
hanging from the tallest
spire of inside

ALWAYS YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL
always I am scared.

Crowd Pleaser


I walk cobbled stones and
broken backs of paving slabs.

Feet scuff the concrete
catch heels
tumble.

I attempt to appear nonchalant
but my fluster stands bold
like mosquito bites.

I await the applause.

People walk on by
the crumpled flesh on the floor.

I abhor the sensitivity of robots: if you won't clap at least concern.

Under The Thumb


THEY say
when YOU die
the soul drifts into another world
where no PAIN exists;
no WAR is undertaken;
no CRIME is ever committed.

The Lonely Walk


the road
a conveyor belt travelling backwards
faster than I am walking forwards
car drivers sound their horns pass on by the lonely walker.

the sun beats down
on sweating face
necklace beating against chest
in time with feet
body leaching fluid: too much for t-shirt to drink

road just winds on
in the distance
conveyor belt
feeding faster
the lonely walk
is far from over
the agony of it all just weighs down the besieged.

Rising To The Bottom


Sitting.
Drinking tea with talk-show hosts:
Nutrasweet smiles
watching their weight.
Shaving around glossy moustaches.
Dripping with gold, jewels and bimbos.
Sloshing a Scotch
in the drink
with a chink: the ice,
no slice.

I feel out of place
and wonder how I managed to arrive
from dingy to sickly-
sweet the personality,
sickening the life-
styled out of fashion.

But who cares when
everybody is living
in the medieval torture
of the 21st Century?

12 comments:

purplesime said...

I wanted to post a new short story today, but I couldn't get it finished. It's now going to have to wait for a week or three. Or four.

So, because there will be nothing new on this blog for some time, I thought I'd put up old poems for you to ponder and one new(ish) one, too.

purplesimon out...

ginab said...

Just wanted to say a quick congratulations! One more day, one more day.

many happy joy-joys to you and yours,
-g+bb

lryicsgrl said...

What a treat.
So many lovely poems.
Perfectionism at work?

OK, so nosey of me, "congratulations" on what?

xsue

lryicsgrl said...

Well, pop a cork!
Congratulations!!!!
Many happy years to come!!

XXOOXXOOXXOO
SUE

ing said...

I am weeping all over my dress, I am throwing rice, I am scrambling to catch that bouquet, I am listening to the cans rattle as they drag behind your bumper, I am dancing with your handsome uncle, I am regretting that last glass of champagne, I am walking home under the stars feeling tired and happy for you and not, for a change, cynical about a thing.

XO!

Moonpie said...

Congratulations Purplesimon to you and your intented! Have a great day, if it's today you have lovely weather for it, super spring sunshine!
Hope you sort out your 'Silver Jews' Tickets, bet it'll be a great gig. Don't know loads of their tracks but I love the song 'Night Society' sometimes it goes round and round my head for days, it's a very catchy little number. If you've ordered them through ticket master you can arranged to have them delivered elsewhere as long as the person recieving them has some form of your ID. They charge a bloody fortune for postage, so I think they will persist until you have recieved them anyway so I wouldn't worry.
Have a fab Honeymoon, (what a strange word honeymoon is I wonder where it originates.)Best Wishes!

lryicsgrl said...

Just sticking my nose in again. Have copy and paste, ready when needed:

Although there are a number of theories about the origin of the “honeymoon”, Wikipedia provides the following insights.

Ancient Babylon

Some believe that the honeymoon originated as an ancient “Babylonian practice that involved drinking mead, a honey-based alcoholic drink, for a lunar month after a marriage.”

Literature

The first literary reference to the word honeymoon was in 1552 in Richard Huloet's Abecedarium Anglico Latinum. It held that the word honeymoon “was a sardonic reference to the inevitable waning of love like a phase of the moon.”

Norse

Others claim that the word honeymoon, is actually, “a vulgarization of the Norse word hjunottsmanathr. After kidnapping one's bride, she was kept hidden away until pregnant or her family stopped looking for her, and then was brought back to formalize the wedding.”

Honeymoons Today

Regardless of its origin—today the honeymoon is a time for a couple to celebrate their marriage and new life together and their love for one another that made it possible.

Happy Honeymoon!

Chris said...

Brilliant poems as usual. I hope you're enjoying yourself.

I've gone and tagged you, just, y'know, 'cause. ;)

lryicsgrl said...

hey,
how long is this HONEYMOON anyway???

stop by when you get back, k?

ginab said...

Happy Easter Si, to you and your new wife!

Glad you're back in the world. I know what freelancing is like. You'll be back on track in no time and then, powie, who knows what comes next!

-g+bb

ing said...

Well? On your honeymoon did you get some?

(Ha ha)

Again, congratulations!

ginab said...

http://www.chekhovsmistress.com/

Simon,

I thought really you'd like to know about "this": the url above discuss Bukowski at length and even a documentary.