Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Counting on Fear

I start counting backwards from 100
In steps of 3.
97
94
91
88
85
82
79
76
73

01

It doesn’t take me long and still the fear is there, palpable.
From there I use the alphabet to control things.
Thinking of a number, finding its corresponding letter.
It’s a test.

20=T
4=D
12=L

I feel my pulse fall to normal levels, my heart slows and the heat in my head dissipates.

I can do these tricks in seconds now; I’ve used them for so many years.

Only once they are complete am I able to step out of bed.

5 comments:

purplesime said...

This story stems from a book I'm reading about people who use maths problems to calm down.

I just wanted to put something up that was less personal than the last post.

purplesimon out...

Kat said...

Sounds very OCD.

Tamarai said...

I agree with Kat - does sound very OCD.

ginab said...

Sounds, too, like an insomniac could benefit from counting backwards. I might give it a whirl.

I am so happy it's Friday! Time for a break from it all. Just a mini-me break.

happiness to you and yours!
-g+bb

Kim said...

doing anything math related has the reverse effect on me.