Tuesday, January 10, 2006

One day out of many

We were out chasing rabbits, the mist curling over the dew-encrusted hills, early morning light bouncing through the trees so we had to squint to see where to point our guns.

You're my reminder, as always; there are still days when my mind fogs over.
Like waterlogged fields
Never clearing, never draining.

The men watched as we stumbled; feet catching on the numerous cavities scattered over the field while we ran, our hands becoming covered. Mud sticks, so does circumstance. Something I would soon find out.

Breath streamed away from our mouths, pooling in the air around us. The loudness of the guns' bangbangbang made you jump; momentarily I could have sworn you actually left your skin – it seemed so wrinkled afterwards, as if you’d stayed too long in the bath. Your eyes wide, hair on end. Frightened.

I laughed, my teeth glinting in the sunlight. When I composed myself you weren’t there.

We found you some metres away from where I was standing. Breath was sucked in, sharply. I marvelled at how little blood there was, considering the amount of holes I managed to count before father dragged me away. Gun, snatched from my hands. Tossed to one side. Anger crowded around me, palpable in its intensity.

Immediately, I wanted to swap places, to be lying on the ground instead of you. I envied you, jealous of the attention you were receiving.

bastardbastardbastardbastard whispered under breath.

Will you forgive me? Can you?

11 comments:

purplesime said...

Something quickly dumped out of my head while I waited to be briefed on some work.

No idea where this came from, but again I was concentrating on the prose rather than the plot. So, it's a kind of "let's see where this goes" post.

purplesimon out...

Tamarai said...

Interesting one..... like it. Different to your usual in the feel of it, though. But good. Like a truly well made cup of coffee.

ginab said...

Seems like a mystery hunt. I wondered about the animal, what kind. A little footing, grounding here--where you are, what kind of gun, what you're hunting, are there any dogs, and names for the pronouns--would allow the piece to develop nicely. Great notes, though, as you capture the mood very well. Great job!

Thanks for the tips on breathing, too, for Pilates. Big help!

purplesime said...

Thanks Gina, I know it has a long way to go before it's considered finished.

It was dumped from my head, but I can see what you're saying and I am excited enough about this post to take it forward.

As for the breathing tips, almost happy to oblige! Remember everyone: in, out, in, out - repeat.

purplesimon out...

Chris said...

Your stories are taking on a very lyrical quality, almost as though you're writing in verse. It's really cool, and you do it well.

Great story. :)

ginab said...

Just wanted to send my condolences related to your generous post on my pal’s blog (I Smell Bear).

-g+bb

ing said...

This sounds like the beginning of a story about a sibling rivalry, maybe. . .

Sometimes the very best stuff just kind of pours out and you chase it, like a rabbit, and if you follow it closely enough, the story ends up with a nice shape. I love it when that happens. It's too rare, though. Definitely, work on this one.

Kat said...

This was interesting. It is poetic.

-G.D. said...

great read...

glad i found your blog.

Calzone said...

Hey...did you steal this idea from the Casual Friday guy?

I bet you are the same person.

See how random and inane this is?

I'll still have sex with you though

blank profile said...

Dude, you are so about to get smited and shit.

Don't make me get all old testiment on your ass.