Friday, July 22, 2005

Change is always scary

Today is the day that my new neighbours move in. The old ones were lovely and we got on really well. I'm apprehensive of what the new people will be like.

We used to live next door to reggae fanatics who loved to play their music all day and night at a frightening volume. That's why we moved. Where we now live is so quiet that when we visit other people we find that their neighbourhood is really noisy - whether it's the birds singing or the sound of lawnmowers on a Sunday afternoon.

All we know of the new people is this: they are two men and they are moving from central London to come to a quiet place. I can only hope they are not like the newest edition to your close who think that they can blast their music as loud as they want, sit outside other people's houses and have barbecues and generally be annoying. Not that they aren't nice enough people, but they don't appear to have consideration for those around them.

There has to be an update on Monday, surely.

As I write this, a man has been shot on the Northern Line at Stockwell. This is close to me, the line I use to get to work and with everything else that is happening it's fucking scary. I have to go to Brixton later, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Also, the Whitechapel mosque has been surrounded by armed police.

All this because of oil.

Oil, as a fuel, is running out. It's one of the reasons that electricity prices are soaring. We need to stop relying on oil and start using other forms of fuel. Once our 'precious' black stuff runs out, will it stop the stupidity? I can only hope we run out of the damn stuff soon.

This weekend I am seeing Jimmy Carr a comedian some of you may have heard of. Whether I can get in to London to see him remains to be seen. On Sunday, I am seeing a Shakespeare play, A Winter's Tale, at the Globe Theatre. Again, I wonder if getting there is possible by public transport.

If not, I'll have to rely on the car, which in turn relies on oil. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Read, think and comment.

purplesimon out...

No comments: