Thursday, June 02, 2005

Should it be banned?

Smoking in public places, that is.

Well, I smoke. However, I don't mind not being able to smoke; if I visit a friend's house and they don't smoke then I go outside to have my cigarette; I can't smoke in the cinema, in some restaurants. Therefore, I would support a ban (in principal).

The only thing that annoys me though is this: we can't smoke in certain places but it is acceptable to use a mobile phone in areas that are smoke-free.

I say, what's the difference between a stupid ringtone going off in a restaurant, or someone shouting into their phone because they are holding it too close to their ear and someone smoking a cigar in the same room?

Little, that's what. Secondary smoke does not kill instantly, it takes time. Diesel fumes are just as bad; pollution from industry also kills. I don't see anyone calling for a blanket ban on these and other social ills.

It's simple: pubs are for drinking (and not to excess - I'd like to see people being fined for puking in the street or public drunkenness), restaurants are for eating. Phone booths are for talking.

Okay, so that might be slightly silly. However, on a serious note: alcohol kills more people each year than smoking does and some of those are through indirect methods (drink driving, fighting, abusing children, etc). Are we going to stop drinking in public places next?

I propose a pub dedicated to smokers. It would be interesting to see how busy that would be. So busy in fact it could be the next big pub chain.

Just an idea.

purplesimon out...

No comments: