Friday, June 17, 2005

The end of a shit week

Once upon a time (I’ve always wanted to start a post with that disgusting phrase) I used to get so pissed off at work I would sound off about it to anyone prepared to listen. Then, to save the sanity of my friends I finally got around to quitting.

Happiness, if not financial security, followed. That was three years ago.

You can imagine how chagrined I was to find myself in the same situation, this time as a freelancer. Now, normally, being a freelancer means that politics at work tend to be ignored easily and the undertow of crap that floats through most companies can be avoided.

So, why did I find myself close to quitting this week?

Well, it was a combination of people who can’t do their jobs and an office that is so hot you could roast a chicken in it.

The upshot is that I don’t intend on staying here any longer than necessary, which means the end of this month. Nine more work days and it’ll be over, the invoice will be in and I can look forward to something new and exciting.

To that end I have been working with someone that inspires me on a regular basis. This person is the wife of the Creative Director where I find myself. She wants to get back to work after having kids and has a list of contacts that I want to get my greasy little mitts on.

Better still, her sister is also a copywriter and works for another agency. With the kind of reference that I’m getting she is also interested in hiring me as a freelancer. In the world of London media it’s not what you know it’s who. I guess it’s the same in business all over the globe.

So, I could find myself in Brighton or somewhere else in London.

The only thing I know for sure is that I’m bound to post it up here for you all to read.

purplesimon out...

No comments: