Monday, June 20, 2005

Another smokescreen

I see that the government has decided not to invoke the wrath of the British smoker by implementing a complete ban on smoking everywhere that isn’t your own home or the street.

Whether or not you agree with this is entirely your own opinion. I don’t really care either way as I’ve already pointed out in this blog.

However, what struck me was that only 600 people die each year from the effects of passive smoking. Not many, in the grand scheme of things.

Am I being mean? Probably. However, here is the reasoning behind this comment:

  • Stairs kill 600 people a year in the UK (and that’s just stairs in the home), but we don’t ban stairs.

  • 60 people each year are killed by their own socks (don’t ask me how) but we don’t ban socks.

  • 15-20 people per year are killed by their alarm clocks. Do we ban alarm clocks?

No.

Can you see where this is going?

What we all need to consider is risk. Does your job involve you being put at risk from inhaling smoke? If yes, change job. If no, what other risks are involved in your job.

I am pleased that the government has decided to leave it up to each individual establishment to decide whether it bans smoking or not. Those who read my last post on this subject may recall that I proposed smoking pubs. I still think that these would be the busiest compared to non-smoking pubs. Let the public decide.

And if any obese people read this, here’s something to remember: obesity costs the NHS more in the UK than smoking does. So, stop eating and start puffing on a ciggy, you know it’s better for you.

I’d like to point out that my last comment is sarcastic. Here’s the dictionary definition of sarcasm in case you’re not sure what it means. Sorry if this is patronising, but I can’t bear another Neighnay sending me shite via email because they didn’t understand the true meaning of my post.

purplesimon out...

No comments: