Friday, February 11, 2005

Long forgotten, once

I was reminded yesterday that I used to write a lot of poetry. You see, I went for an interview and met this man called Jonathan Spooner. He is a creative director, most famous in your eyes as the man that launched the Orange mobile phone company in the UK.

You can see his picture at this page.

He seemed like a good bloke, told me lots about his work and what I would need to do if I wanted to be hired by him. We hit it off, sharing a cigarette break outside his office. He smokes Marlboro Lights (not that the suffix 'lights' is technically allowed anymore - I wonder if I am breaking UK legislation by simply writing it?).

In case I have: he smokes Marlboro cigarettes with the gold and white packet design. They used to be known as Marlboro Lights.

Anyway, he wrote down his personal Web page address for me and said that I should visit it and it would give me a starting point from which to sort out my portfolio for our second meeting, which hopefully will be scheduled for next week. Possibly Monday; which means a hectic weekend of idea generation and printing and mocking-up of artwork in PhotoShop or QuarkXPress.

I have a huge folder full of ideas that have never gone further than a black pen. Now is the time to get them out.

Jonathan also suggested that I send him poetry and short stories; something to hold his attention for more than a few words. It surprised me, to tell the truth. I never thought my personal work would be something to get me a well-paid job in advertising. Turns out it might be the best way to get that job...

So, the upshot of this is that I thought about digging around and unleashing some poetry into the public domain. There is some already out there, if you want to search hard enough.

Come back, there will be something placed on this God-forsaken page at a later date.

I promise. Maybe even today, maybe not. It depends on how tired I am tonight or how busy I am this afternoon.

purplesimon out...

No comments: